MIGGIE CHALLENGE at PAARL DAM
This year’s Miggie Challenge will take place on Wednesday 01st of May 2019 (workers day / public holiday) and is the perfect opportunity for a mid-week fishing and fun break in the great outdoors…
The Miggie Challenge will take place at Paarl dam, situated in Noord Agter Paarl on the R45 between Paarl and Wellington. GPS coordinates: 33°40’19.1″S 18°57’36.5″E.
WHAT? – FUN ACTIVITIES FOR ALL TO ENJOY
* Cape Cystic Fibrosis Association stall for awareness
* Fun Fishing and Optional Fancy Dress-ups for prizes
* Music and Spot prize announcements during the day
* Refreshment and Food stalls (see below)
* Sponsor Advertising available (Banners, tents and marketing available for Sponsors)
* Radio and Media News reporters will be onsite. Many Photos will be taken and shared on Social groups
* Lucky Draws at the end of the day (NB You MUST be present to win)
The fishing and optional Fancy dress competition is open to everyone and all are welcome to attend. You do not need to belong to a club to take part. Entry and Lucky-Draw tickets by Donation on the day! You may also just come and support our refreshment stalls, visit and “Buy” Lucky draw tickets by Donation…
CAPE CYSTIC FIBROSIS ASSOCIATION
This year the Cape Cystic Fibrosis Association will also have a stall at the Miggie Challenge.
They are a non-profit organisation (NPO), that work to create awareness and promote education about Cystic Fibrosis. They distribute food parcels every 3 months to disadvantaged people living with this disease. They also run a support group once a month as well as Cystic Fibrosis awareness workshops. They are open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
FISHING FUN REGISTRATION, ENTRY FEE & PEGGING
Entry to the GREAT FUN competition is by donation and all funds collected on the day go towards our beneficiaries. Spot Prizes also for best / worst fishing stand / setup and Fancy-dress prizes for best / worst dressed man / lady / child / pair / family… Just be there!
In 2014, we managed to raise R14,000 that went towards Stefan King, in 2015 we raised R17,000 for Andries van der Merwe, in 2016 we raised R22,000 for Damian Wolf, in 2017 we raised R52,000 for Oliver Murphy and in 2018 we raised R63 000 for Keagan Mustoe, Caryn and Lucian Abrahams and the CCFA. Let’s see if we can top those figures at this year’s Miggie Challenge.
* Registration to the event will be open from 6am and will remain open throughout the day (for those anglers who won’t be able to make it so early).
* The Fun fishing competition will start at 8am – 2pm and will be followed by a fun prize giving.
* Anglers are asked to stop their cars within the designated area when registering in the morning.
* At registration, you will be required to make your donation. You will be given a number that you will keep and use later for the lucky draws.
* You will then be allowed into the angling water dam area. The dam will be pegged but works on a first come first serve basis, so you choose your own angling area / spot anywhere around the dam at the marked-out spaces (pegs).
* Anglers fish 2 people per peg – More are also welcome, but no less than 2. If you are a group of people, we ask that you reserve the necessary pegs around you to ensure you are all together.
FISHING FUN RULES FOR THE DAY
There are a few fun rules for the day but there are also a few important rules that we ask all anglers to please abide by:
* Please drive slowly and cautiously. There will be lots of families and children running around the dam.
* Be on the lookout for muddy spots when driving especially on the opposite side of the dam.
* Please ALWAYS pick up all litter and keep your angling area clean (even if it’s not your own litter).
* No open fires / braai fires – Food stalls are available with lots of yummy food…
* You may steal each other’s fish, but once the hooter goes at 2pm you will no longer be allowed to steal / swop fish.
What you may do:
* You may help any other angler – cast, bait, reel in etc.
* You may walk into the water to cast. Basically, just have the most fun possible!!!
* You should not drink the dam water, as some pollution levels have been detected…
There will be lots of delicious eats and drinks for sale on the day so make sure you bring with some extra cash.
All anglers/visitors are encouraged to support our food stalls. All the funds that are collected through these food stalls goes towards the beneficiaries.
* Curry Chicken potjie and rice: R25
* Chips: R15
* Chip roll: R10
* Boerewors rolls: R15
* Hamburger: R20
* Pannekoek: R5
* Muffins: R5
* Coffee / Tea: R10
* Coffee / Tea and Muffin combo: R15
* Sweet: R1 – R5
* Cooldrinks & Water: R10
* Energy Drinks: R15
Please just take note that there are no card facilities. Unfortunately, it is only cash!
There are some great prizes up for grabs. Watch this space for all the prizes closer to the day.
There are also plenty of lucky draws for all the remaining prizes (NB You must be present to win).
Prizes are handed out in random to keep the competition fun and to give everyone a fair chance, for example: The smallest fish of the day could get the biggest prize and the biggest fish for the day could get the smallest prize.
There will also be prizes for anglers who have the most unique fishing equipment. In the past we have had anglers who have fished from checkers trollies as stands and anglers who have had a tree branch as a fishing rod.
A reminder that the Miggie Challenge is a fun dress up event and all are encouraged to dress up for the occasion. Dressing up is not compulsory but there are some great prizes up for grabs for the best dressed anglers / couples / families / man / lady / child.
Malcolm King, Chairman of Cape Town Angling Club believes that he will hands down win this year’s dress up challenge with his unique outfit that he has planned. That being said, Malcolm has challenged everyone brave enough to out-dress him on the day and top his outfit. But MOST importantly – just make it FUN!
* The fishing at Paarl dam at the moment is great and we are in for a day of lots of nice big fish.
* There is also some Barbel, Koi & Kurper in the dam, but primarily Carp. So Floaties, bread & Mielie-pips will work!
* Paarl dam has two proper working toilets at the entrance.
* Lots of Parking space around the whole dam after entry by Donation.
* You can bring with umbrellas, flags, shading, chairs and Gazebos to put up at your peg.
* No seating! Own Folding chairs welcome at prize-giving, lucky draws and bidding areas at the end of the day
PRIZE SPONSORS & DONATIONS
Should you and / or your company be willing to sponsor prizes please let us know and we can collect it, or you can bring them along on the day. Remember ALL PROCEEDS goes for a good cause to our beneficiaries on the day…
Should you be making large money donations and wish to do an EFT instead of placing the cash in the box, please see the clubs banking details.
Please bring proof / a printed copy of your EFT so we can put it in the donation box and to secure your participation and Lucky draw ticket for the day…
NB Sponsors may advertise at the dam. Plenty of Publicity guaranteed!
BANKING DETAILS FOR EFT DONATIONS / ENTRIES
Anonymous donors welcome, but if you would like to use it as entry or share your identity, please add your name to the payment as well as Miggie 2019 as reference. For Entry, please bring along the proof of payment. For notice send POP to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Account Holder: The Miggie Challenge NPC
Branch code: 63 20 05
Account Number: 40 94 81 89 74
Reference number: Miggie 2019 & Name/Surname or Company Name
NB Info may change without notice! For more updated / latest information about the event please feel free visit our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/themiggiechallenge
Thank you for all the support and we hope to see you all there at:
Paarl dam on Wednesday the 1st (Anytime between 6am and 4pm)