In 1848 Johannes Heinrich Kulpmann of the Rhenish Mission Society bought the farm Leeuwenklip, in order to establish a mission station to serve the freed slaves and indigenous inhabitants of the area. The mission station was named Saron, which is of biblical origin meaning “flats” or “plain”.
In 1852 the Rhenish Mission Church took control of the mission station and a church was erected. The existing farm complex and farm buildings were incorporated into the mission complex. The farm house became the “pastorie”, a church was built adjacent to the “pastorie” and the wine cellar was used as a school until a new building was erected in 1877.
Besides access to agricultural and pastoral land, the mission provided inhabitants with education, health services and an opportunity to develop skills in craft production and as artisans. Some of these skills exist within the community to this day.
The population steadily increased into the 20th century and Saron was officially proclaimed a town on 19 December 1929. In 1945 the Dutch Reformed Church took control of the Mission however, in 1950, the Church was forced to surrender control of Saron.
The town was administered by a succession of secular authorities until its recently-gained municipal status and the Saron Local Authority was established.