The Heritage Journey

The Heritage Journey

HERITAGE ROUTE

As important to us as our wine culture is our heritage. Join us as we take a meander through the past on our heritage route…

AUGUSTA / KLEINBOSCH

The farm Kleinbosch was granted in 1692 to Francois du Toit, the Huguenot ancestor of the Du Toit family in South Africa.
It became a true family farm and in 1792 Guilliam du Toit built the present building on it.As was the custom of the time, a
cemetery was laid out in about 1700 on the farm. The historical graveyard contains the graves of the previous owners and
their descendants or next of kin, mostly Huguenots or of Huguenot descent.

The French family names Du Toit, Malherbe, Du Plessis, Rousseau/Rossouw, Malan, Perold and Retief can be read on the tombstones.
In 1881 the “Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners” decided to establish the Huguenot Memorial School. The building was erected in 1882-1883
and served as a school until 1910. It was originally a Georgian double storey building and was a private Christian school.
It was also the first school of its era with Afrikaans as a teaching medium.

DRUK-MY-NIET

Druk My Niet is a 24-hectare farm situated in Paarl which was originally granted to the Huguenot, Francois du Toit, in 1692 as a portion of
Kleinbosch Farm. Here you will find accommodation ideal for a weekend away. The farm lies in a biosphere reserve and endangered species
of fynbos can be found here. The buildings on the farm are some of the oldest in the Paarl Valley and have enormous historical significance.
Dorothee and Georg Kirchner bought the farm in 2002 and began a six-year period of renovation and replanting the estate.

NEDERBURG

The farm was granted to Philippus Bemardus Wolfaart at the end of 1791, when the Dutch East India Company offered many of its properties
for sale in an attempt to pay off its debts, Wolfaart established a flourishing farm and built a homestead in the 1800. The farm was later sold
off to the Retief family to whom it belonged for seven decades. The property changed hands several times until it was purchased in 1937 by
a viticulturist, brewer and tea specialist, Johann Georg Graue. He was to revolutionise wine-growing and winemaking at Nederburg and to
pioneer many important changes that impacted the entire South African wine industry. Not only did he understand the relationship between
fine fruit and fine wine, he also introduced new technology, such as cold fermentation to promote wine quality.

KWV

In 1918, the year Nelson Mandela was born, South African wine farmers founded KWV with the aim of stabilising, supporting and structuring a
young, struggling industry. Initially started as a co-operative, the KWV soon grew in power and prominence to where it set policies and prices for the
entire South African wine industry. To deal with the wine glut, the KWV restricted yields and set minimum prices that encouraged the production of
brandy and fortified wines.

For much of the 20th century, the wine industry of South Africa received very little attention on the world stage. Its isolation was exacerbated by the
boycotts of South African products in protest against the country’s system of Apartheid. It was not till the late 1980s and 1990s when Apartheid was
ended and the world’s export market opened up that South African wines began to experience a renaissance. Many producers in South Africa quickly
adopted new viticulture and winemaking technologies. The presence of flying winemakers from abroad brought international influences and focus on well
known varieties such as Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.

The reorganisation of the powerful KWV co-operative into a private business further sparked innovation and improvement in quality as vineyard owners
and wineries who had previously relied on the price-fixing structure that bought their excess grapes for distillation were forced to become more competitive
by shifting their focus to the production of quality wine

LABORIE

The Taillefert family sought to name their farm in Paarl after the district of La Bri from which they originated but with regular use and colloquialism,
the name Laborie finally emerged and stayed.The historic manor house was erected in 1750 and is an important example of the Cape Dutch
architectural style, and, in 1977 was proclaimed a national monument. The wine cellar on the farm dates back to the early nineteenth century.
KWV bought Laborie in 1972 and immediately set about turning it into a world class estate.

GRANDE ROCHE

Grande Roche is situated on the site of the old De Nieuwe Plantatie in the Drakenstein valley of Paarl, South Africa. Its heritage dates back to
1717 when a grant of land was given to Hermanus Bosman.Over the years the homestead grew and changed and, in 1876, it was renovated to
reflect the then popular Victorian style.

The farm was bought and modernised by the Du Toit family in 1926 and after a fire in 1953 it was rebuilt
as a Victorian manor house. The farm buildings were carefully restored and the property converted into a hotel in 1991. In 1993, Grande Roche
was declared a National Monument. Of particular interest is a small slave’s chapel which is also a National Monument in its own right.
Today it serves as a wedding chapel for intimate weddings.

LANDSKROON

Landskroon Wine Estate has a long history going back to 1689 when the French Huguenots landed in the Cape. Among the newcomers was
Jacques de Villiers, a wine maker from Nirt in France. In 1874, his great-grandson Paul, bought a portion of the original lanskroon farm that had
been granted to a free burger by governor Simon van der Stell in 1692.

Today, five generation later, the 200 hectare farm is still in the possession of the de Villiers family and is managed as a private family
operation and owned by the families of brothers Paul and Hugo de Villiers

OUR HERITAGE IN WORDS

Through the years many well-known and highly respected journalists, poets and authors have walked on Paarl soil – our heritage has
been passed on from generation to generation through the works of these remarkable people. Only a few are mentioned on this page.

Visit the Afrikaans Language Monument (Taalmonument) which is located on the hill overlooking Paarl. Officially opened on 10 October 1975,
it commemorates the semi-centenary of Afrikaans being declared an official language of South Africa separate from Dutch, being erected
on the 100th anniversary of the founding of Genootskap van Regte Afrikaners (the Society of Real Afrikaners in Paarl, the organization that
helped strengthen Afrikaners’ identity and pride in their language.

OUR LITERARY HERITAGE INCLUDES

DF Malherbe, South African novelist, poet and dramatist whose work helped establish Afrikaans as the cultural language of South Africa,
is best known for his novel Vergeet and the extremely popular Die Meulenaar which tells of the South African Boer War as well as the En die wawiele rol,
which describes the Great Trek. He served for many years as professor of literature at the University of Bloemfontein.

Another well-known author is Elsabe Antoinette Murray who wrote under the pseudonym of Elsa Joubert, an Afrikaans-speaking South African
who rose to prominence with her novel Die swerfjare van Poppie Nongena – unstinting in its look at the suffering of black people under the
apartheid government – shook South African society at the time of its release in Afrikaans in the late 1970’s and was eventually translated into
thirteen different languages and staged as a drama

The controversial Eugene Marais delivered unusual and very diverse contributions to the literary world. He was an outstanding poet, a political rebel,
influential journalist, storyteller, astronomer, homeopath, pioneer in the fight for the Afrikaans language and a nomad.

Newsletter Signup

Social

Paarl Tourism Social Accounts
Paarl Facebook Paarl Twitter Paarl Twitter

Paarl Wine Route Social Accounts
Paarl Facebook Paarl Twitter