Paarl certainly has no shortage of amazing things to do and see. The town is appreciated not only for its natural beauty, but also for its rich heritage and cultural attractions. Here is our list of 15 awesome must-dos that should be on your Visit Paarl bucket list.
- Feel on top of the world and burn off energy on top of Paarl Mountain’s famous granite outcrops. Paarl takes its name from these outcrops that stands proudly on the crest of Paarl Mountain. It is not easy to stay indoors when visiting Paarl.
- The most exquisite venue in the Winelands? It is definitely Cathedral Cellar at KWV Wines. They are the keepers of the heartbeat of the South African Wine Industry.
- An iconic statue of an iconic man. Nelson Mandela spent his last days of imprisonment just outside Paarl. A state of him outside the Drakenstein Prison, where Nelson Mandela spent his last years in captivity and where he completed his long walk to freedom, honours his legacy.
- The birth of Afrikaans as the World’s youngest language is celebrated by the Afrikaans Language Monument, the only monument to a living language in the world and the most instagrammable spot in Paarl. Be sure to visit for a selfie!
- Visit the Alpaca Coffee Shop and Weaving Studio for a fun outing for the whole family, including a petting zoo with the fluffy, cute and cuddly creatures.
- Experience Africa at Ashia. Get up close with nature at this cheetah sanctuary with its world-class conservation program.
- Go green at Babylonstoren. This eco-friendly destination boasts botanically diverse fruit and vegetable gardens with fine dining and accommodation in a picture-perfect setting.
- Fairview offers fine wines, local produce such as award-winning goats milk cheeses, a deli, restaurant and the landmark goat tower making it a must visit destination.
- Meet some crocodiles and other reptiles at Le Bonheur Reptiles and Adventures. It even offers Croc cage diving for the brave at heart.
- Paarl is South Africa’s third oldest town. Explore its diverse architecture on the Paarl Historical Walk. The Heritage Route stretches along the country’s longest main road and has many fine examples of Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian and Cape Dutch buildings that compete for space with the wide variety of fine restaurants and coffee shops spread out along the twelve-kilometre-long road.
- Spectacular Spice Route is a destination that will entice with its variety of cuisine, wines and tasting experiences and amazing views.
- Get a new vantage point on horseback or quad bike to explore working wine farms and spectacular scenery at Wine Valley Adventure Trails.
- Enjoy the outdoors and book with Hero Adventures to experience mountain-biking, trail running and hiking right around Paarl Mountain.
- Paarl is not only about wine, visit Berg River Brewery to sample some artisanal craft beers.
For more information, visit www.paarlonline.com.